Sunday, October 9, 2011

Acrylic Paint

I'm no expert at painting and I never got painting lessons. I used tempera paints and watercolor earlier. The first was relatively ok, but the second was horror. It simply was not behaving as I wanted and exploiting the errors as many people were telling me was not something I managed to do. I gave up on this quite soon not really finding out what it can offer.

After years of drawing and digitally drawing I happened to take brush in my hand and try something I've never done before with paint I had no idea how it behaved - acrylic paint.

I've read a bit about this paint and there are things that I already noticed without reading about it.

Acrylic painting is the newest painting medium dating from 1955. It's water-based medium and it is said that the usual texture and consistency is similar to oil paint (with which I have no experience). The paint can be found in a variety of viscosities. From really dense ones to liquid ones that can be used in airbrushes.

Acrylic paint dries fast as I found out pretty soon^_^. So new layers of acrylic paint can be done without messing what is underneath. On the other hand blending can becomes difficult. (oh yeah, sometimes it seemed impossible)

They are easily diluted in water.

Acrylic paint sticks almost to anything from wood to glass (even though special paint needs to be bought for that). What it does not adhere to is grease though.

The color as you see it on the palette is the one that ends up in the painting.

You can get acrylic paint off easily when it is still wet. But when it dries it's a tough task.

There are many additives that can be used with acrylics, starting with gel retarder and ending with anything you can imagine (like adding something that makes your color have a metallic look).

So should I pursue painting with acrylics or try something different? Certainly I would like to try this out, but for someone who does not have the equipment it might get expensive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment