Monday, October 10, 2011

Acrylic Paint Attempt no.1 - progress

Progress of 'mountain 1'

The starting point was a 88x63 mm white paper. I applied a base coat. I noticed that even slightest coat of paint makes everything easier and it also gives the general mood/tint to the final picture. I usually use relatively bright yellow but today it wasn't the case. I used buff titanium (yellow).


After this I let it dry for a while. Then I took a smaller brush and outlined what I wanted to paint. Here I already found out that to paint what I want is not that easy^_~.


Now it was time to start coloring. I started with the sky. I did not like any of the attempts at it...I repainted it several times but none seemed right. The color changed several times as well. At first it was relatively bright color, but it was getting darker and darker with bit of yellow added to it. In the end I think that if I would end in a night scene it would make me feel better. But the rest would have to shift in color as well - and for the time being I'm not sure how.

Later I added some green and shades of 'brown'.


When I saw that it actually starts to look somehow I decided to change the tint into something more vivid and repainted the sky once again. At this point I think it was the best one I managed today. But unfortunately it ended up looking completely different in the end. I added a bit of blue to the more distant 'mountains' to make it look more far away. But I guess that I wasn't that successful either.


Then I started adding some detail. Some grass and I tried to do something with the path and in the middle.

Here's the final scan.


I actually like the way it turned out in the end but I wonder what else I could do? Adding more detail for sure even though I don't know how. Even though I covered the whole area with paint, is it enough? Could more colors add more depth? Or having used less paint actually gives it a different feel and make it look good? (in this case I like the fact that I used less paint, many times transparent so you can see the base color underneath. I usually cover the whole area and nothing of the base coat color can be seem).

It seems that this picture as many other I've done earlier has a problem with scale. Or well there are elements that are close and should be quite large, but the objects in the distance should be ... well appropriately big/small. The way my image is done...how big is the 'mountain' in the back? and the stones alongside the road? They were meant to be 2-3 meters big but hm...but in reality how big they would be?

I read that when painting with acrylics one should go from darker color to lighter one. But I experienced a problem when applying superposing layer of lighter color on the darker. Sometimes the dark color stands too much. I use lighter color and I end up with two really distinct colors. How one goes on about blending? My usual way of doing this is to mix each time a slighter lighter shade and paint. But I sometimes tried to blend the two colors using a bit more of water - usually this does not end good but is it a good way to do? Would it work if done properly.

This probably concludes my first experiment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment