Tuesday, September 13, 2011

L5r.cz - Spoiler


I've spent a lot of time adding single cards to the shop's database and I decided to use it for more than just the shop. In each Trading Card Game you usually have new sets printed and usually certain sites post spoilers.

As a new set is out in Legend of the Five Rings I decided to compile the spoiler. Most sites just post text spoilers or just the images but none bother doing both. Mostly it's on forums so you have to go through many posts to actually find a card you are looking for. The biggest L5R databse site does have a complete listing but only after the set is out. But if you want to see a bigger image you have to actually click on the image and be redirected to a different page that shows all the card's info and many people find this really annoying.

That's why I took the database data and listed it on a page. I needed to join few tables and figure out how to list the fields in two kinds of columns but well it works. Finally I implemented Highslide javascript that shows the full size image after you click on the thumbnail and you are still on the page. Big THANKS to Highslide Software. I might well buy this for my shop because I like it. I spent about six hours figuring out a Javascript script but I gave up as it never did what I wanted and when it started to do something it was SLOOOW and it also reminded me that I hate JavaScript and should never try to do something in it! Never again.

What to do now?
  • I want to create a search engine or at least something that let's you choose a set. I won't do that now, because the database does not contain all the cards I need nor their game text. But it will eventually come down to this and I might continue creating something like a deck builder for this game and store the decks.


The script is stored on Outcast.cz server but is accessible from http://l5r.cz which is the Czech L5R site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment