Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Progress Report no. 1

A week has passed and it is slowly the time to show my progress.

At first I wanted to come up with a composition I would use for my drawing and with that I wanted to concentrate more on the background of the image. All this idea came from an image of Drizzt Do'Urden and his leopard Guenhwyvar coming out of the underground to an eternally snow covered surface. And that is where I started or tried to start...



I realized that doing this is much more time consuming than I expected. Coming up with a composition is really hard for me but this hopefully gets better with each week^^. When I found out what I would like to draw I realized that doing it is much more difficult as well. The biggest problem though was with colors. I did not manage to come up with colors that would express what I want and in the end the Drizzt sketches look really horrible. After the two first drafts I decided to try a new one being completely different. On Saturday played in a Magic tournament and I came across a Frostwind Inwoker . I decided that I could draw a dragon, a huge bird or another big creature that can fly with a person riding it. I ended up with a dragon yesterday.

For the next week I will most probably try to come up with a composition I want so I could keep to it. I have no idea if I will manage it though. I expected to start working on the character or the animal in the image the next week but that won't be possible if I don't have the whole drawing drafted. Anyway yesterday night I also came across an old drawing of mine. I added a background to it. I know it's just some blurred trees and such but I realized few things while doing it. One thing is that I was never capable of doing something like this just by deciding "doing it". I drew the trees, used layers, opacity settings, blurred it even more and in the end it came to look quite good (in terms of my earlier attempts at backgrounds both simple and more sophisticated).



The reflection in her eyes should be different as the source of light is elsewhere but well...I will learn how to deal with this later or on the way. Good thing is that I realized this while looking at the picture. This wouldn't probably happen to me earlier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment