Monday, October 24, 2011

My previous posts commentary

Monday, October 10, 2011
personal [speaking about topic] as that will drive us forward

In relation to Visual Production class I would like to explore drawing/painting techniques. As I'm interested in character design and 'fantasy art' I would like to discover what that is and from where the popularization and globalization of sword and sorcery came.
[topic] that will help us in the future

What I have in mind would help me in the future to become professional fantasy artist. It would give me the basis from which I can continue to progress and find my niche.
ad 3d animation/sound production

I would like to produce an interactive work but my interest leads me in a different way. Still conveying a message does not always mean 'wall of text'. So there is space for more.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
When researching I encountered several thing that reoccur.
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Magic: The Gathering
  • Dungeons and Dragons
  • Wizards of the Coast/TSR

When trying to figure out what to do for Visual Production class I realized that fantasy art (even though I already speak here about a subgenre of fantasy)can still be divided into two groups - concept art and fine art.
More and More I see Asian influences in modern fantasy art. Also Asian illustrators show up on the scene. This has brought many discussions to the fantasy reading public, gamers and role players.

Monday, October 17, 2011
I was researching ...something. I hoped that this something would lead me to where fantasy started to be accepted by people. I found my answer - after LotR was published. People were open for more fantasy and simply wanted more. Here I found also why generic and future fantasy settings are similar to Europe in Middle Ages (see Middle Earth of Tolkien)
Following, Dungeons and Dragons by TSR enforced that and especially Ed Greenwood created a world people could easily familiarize with. That being Forgotten Realms

Various settings were published - Greyhawk, Ebberon, DragonLance, Forgotten Realms - all reflecting already well known notion of a fantasy world. Magic: The Gathering with its Multiverse did the same (different planes each being different in setting but still resembling (Middle)Earth more or less). One exception (to European based setting)was published - Oriental Adventures (Legend of the Five Rings) based on Feudal Japan (even though you will find Chinese, Korean and Mongolian elements + magic and magical beings ie. spirits, demons)

Saturday, October 22, 2011
Martin McKenna is the one who helped me to grasp what I was looking for and showed me that what I think is what he thinks as well.
Pre-50s the reading public wasn't prepared for fantasy even though popularity of pulp fiction grew and was becoming less 'pulp'. It was still rather underground. In 1955 LotR was published and readers of all ages and education simply wanted more of this 'faerie world'.
In 1973 D&D was published based on wargaming rules and games that evolved for Gary and his friend to what we know as RPG today.
Fantasy novels, books, magazines emerged and the quality of covers and inside illustrations started to be better,
A lot of illustrations were needed for TSR's rule books, magazines and modules.
In 1993 trading card games appeared on the market which meant a lot of work for many fantasy artists.
As the notion of fantasy mostly means sword and sorcery, it starts to get generalized and we can clearly see archetypes. Now fantasy is being popularized - we have movies, games and books that are easily accessible.

brainstorming notes.

- fantasy fans are conservative in nature
- there are still many Tolkien die hard fans
- evolution of fantasy can be thus rather difficult

0 comments:

Post a Comment