Sunday, June 6, 2010

Leviathan - Final Post

Before week one I had plenty of time thinking about what I would like to develop as a personal project. I primarily two things in my mind one being sound production/music production project and the other one drawing/painting one. I decided to draw. Wanted result was a full color drawing that would depict a character and/or some being.

During the first two weeks I was trying to come up with a scene that I could develop. I tried few but all were bad. In the second week I came up with few more, even though I did more sketches of animal beasts than of 'scenes' I wanted. I realized few things though. In each of the pictures something was wrong and it wasn't just the perspective. The placement of objects on canvas plays a big role as well. There are certain rules that should be followed. Also foreground and background can be 'connected' by more ways than I thought possible. Well, at least I know that blur and sharpen at certain places is something that can make wonders as this is something that will lead the ideas from one thing to another - to the principal one.

I also did some sketches in digital form and some on paper. I can have much more detail on paper in much shorter time, but when working on a computer I can get much better results with higher resolution that is resized later.
My final piece is a low res image which is the way I decided to go for one reason (ignoring the fact that I can't put as much detail as I would have wanted to in the image). I've spent the last year doing Magic: The Gathering alters which means that I spent time with a brush of the finest size I could fine and 66mm x 83mm 'canvas'. But I know that on this small area I can have really great details and nice backgrounds. That's why I tried drawing/painting a cloud sky. I started with white background doing a fast sketch of where the colors should be different and were the sun should be. I later added base colors for that and then I started using different hues of those colors so I would make it look better. In the end I came up with a very blurry image of a sky. It might not be seen but there are many short brush strokes (it seems that this is the way to go for me if I want to achieve something looking this way).

Next week I was trying to color my leviathan drawing. It was a pain. I knew what colors I wanted to use (like blue, green etc) but the colors I chose did not go together at all. It looked really weird. Some colors were to bright and unrealistic.

In the following weeks I was trying to fix this and finally I desaturated the image and continued drawing in the shades of gray. Later on I added the colors I wanted to use for the image. The result was far better than the last colored version.

Lastly I tried adding more detail and making it look more cohesive and more sophisticated.

I learned about the cohesiveness of a composition, about colors and shading. I learned just a bit but it is important for me and each realization like this is a huge leap forward for me. It might not seem like that but I know that I will be able to use this later in my drawings or paintings. I slowly go forward and learn about the colors, techniques I can use for certain kind of images and about the perspective/foreground/background. Applying my painting technique was something that I should have done earlier. It showed me that this way I can achieve good results as well. It will be much closer to the style I wish to paint/draw. My style is rather Asian and that does not usually work for medieval Fantasy.




Leviathan

It is a simple drawing of a leviathan, a sea (magical) monster. The creature can fly over the sea water. This one decided to twine around a lighthouse to hide the light it produces. It is there levitating and waiting for a ship to see him. The crew might get scared and never come to the island (were some other magical beings live).

I did not want to express anything special with this drawing, I just drew a sketch of it because I liked the idea. It is a fantasy creature drawn there. I like fantasy and I'm encircled with fantasy imagery, books and other items. The rocks should resemble rocks that you can find in Southern Asia. I really like this kind of rocks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment