Monday, May 10, 2010

Cloud tutorial^_~

On Saturday we went to visit my grandmother in Valasske Mezirici. During our trip it was mostly clouded and we encountered few storms. I was amazed by the clouds (I always am when the clouds are low in the sky and moving fast). I stared at the clouds and was comparing the colors I usually use to paint the sky and the colors my eye perceived. I realized that the colors are somewhere between dark gray (greenish) and light blue (but cold tones). When I was younger I couldn't draw a cloud and usually my clouds ended up blue and the sky was white with tint of white. When I started painting on magic cards I realized that clouds are usually gray/white with tints of tan (in the magic illustrations). I had to match the colors right and make the clouds look as clouds. My nightmare was finishing Doom Blade as I couldn't figure out the colors and I couldn't make the big cloud look right. But it helped me realize some things. Other cards showed me that clouds are 3d objects and should get the depth and many colors are used when painting them.

Today I woke up around 6am and couldn't fall asleep once again. So I got up and decided a small cloud tutorial. I kept in mind my painting process I use for the cards and tried to copy a scene from Saturday's trip to Valmez. I used shades of dark green, dark blue (greenish but not that 'warm blue' I used to use...) and tan as that is the color that makes wonders^^. (at least while painting with real paint).

After 'finishing' many layers of the sky I added mountains in and some trees. Then I wanted to add some living creatures but couldn't come up with anything so I just drew a frostwind invoker (it was pain to draw!). Now it seems that I should have placed the sun further right on the image and keep the invoker at the same spot. That would probably work better.

I know it looks as two different people would draw this image but well that's my usual problem. When I concentrate on one thing it usually ends up looking good in some way and the elements I add later never fit in. I will try working on this later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment